Sunday, March 19, 2017

Aha Moment!

This week, I had a nugget that I took to God in prayer. I was listening to the Jennifer Fulwiler Show on the Catholic Channel. She had a a guest on who had inspired her to grow in self knowledge by contemplating her charism. Since growing in self-knowlege to lead a virtuous life is the crux of this blog, I mentally tuned in and then did some of my own research when I got home. 

This wasn’t the first time I ever heard of charisms or even thought of my own. Many parishes as part of the new evangelization offer workshops to help each person discover their charism and then share it with others. Yet, this was the first time though that I have ever thought about charism in relationship to growth mindset and the temperaments.

What makes a charism? 

1.  An unmistakable inner experience of peace, energy and joy when you are using the gift.  It energizes you!

2.  Unusually effective and successful results in what you’re trying to accomplish

3.  Other people’s direct or indirect recognition of the gift’s presence

The guest on the Jennifer Fulfiller Show (I wish I remembered her name!) said two other things that resonated with me. 

  • We all receive our charisms at Baptism.
  • In expanding on the second signpost of charism, she mentioned that most things we do or accomplish are proportionate to the amount of effort that we put in. But, a charism is disproportionate. God’s graces are working through the person to help us complete His mission on earth.

 What is the difference between a talent and a charism then? Remember the core of Carol Dweck’s research on mindset is that basic abilities can be developed through dedication and hard work. Brains and talent are just the starting point. I have argued that we must apply this mindset to becoming saints as we strive to live virtuous lives. We must know what virtue looks like and sounds like and put daily effort into exercising the cardinal virtues. 

Yet, the theological virtues of Faith, Hope, and Charity are given to us freely at baptism…much like our charisms. 

I started thinking about this blog. When I first started out, I never would have imagined I’d make it to week 18. (Yes, I’m counting!) But, I knew that it was something I had to do. God simply made that clear. People have said to me, “I don’t know how you do it? Where do you find the time?” I never really had an answer for that since I often struggle to find the time to accomplish human basic needs like cooking and sleep! 

I usually say something like, “The blog has been a gift. It gives me energy that I can’t explain. I’ve missed writing so much since I started in administration.” Aha! That statement alone is the first sign that this is my charism. I've also experienced people email me or come to me and say, "Your last post really hit home. Thank you." Signpost # 3. It is clear that when it comes to my writing, God is at the helm, not me. 

After googling a little bit and taking a few charism inventories online, I started applying these concepts to my vocation both as a mother and as a lay minister in administration. Not surprising, my highest categories revolved around evangelization, teaching, servant leadership, encouragement, and mission. It’s no surprise then that I am most fed by opportunities to lead the children and staff in prayer, when I am in classrooms, or when given the opportunity to help fulfill God’s purpose by motivating a group of people to make a vision a reality.

Ironically, administration as a charism was not in my top five. It was in the middle. Does this mean I’m not good at it? Absolutely not. It just means that the skills I possess in  administration, such as planning and executing policies, take direct effort and what talent I have can and must be cultivated. What I put in, I’ll get out. God will do great things with this effort and it is essential to grow in virtue, but it is not my charism. 

Aha. I understand now. In truth, I am not getting the same energy and joy from executing these parts of my job as I do from those moments when I get to lead people, pray with people, and inspire them. I also need to be aware of when things outside my charism are dominating my “action items” and time so that I don’t get the sense of burning out.  That is of course what the evil one wants!

I encourage teachers who are feeling burned out to take a charism inventory. I have added some to the resources on the left side of this blog. If your charism is hospitality, take some time to do something special to your classroom environment for celebrating writing milestones. If your charism is music, incorporate it into your instructional delivery. The list goes on and on! 

If you are a parent the same challenge applies. Maybe you are stressing out because you’ve been running your children from activity to activity and you’ve barely had time to make dinner or pick up the house. If your charism is hospitality or service, then this will become very draining! 

Likewise, if your charism is knowledge and you have been struggling to create space for daily prayer, yet alone immerse yourself in “diligent study and intellectual activity that enables us to better understand God, ourselves, and the universe,” then you’re likely to feel unidentified resentment toward your spouse and children amidst the laundry, dishes, and other responsibilities of parenting.


Our temperaments help us to grow in self-knowledge so we can have better relationships with those whom we journey on this pilgrimage. But, knowing our charisms will help us to grow in self-knowledge so we can have a better relationship with our Creator. By exercising our charism, we will not only grow in deeper relationship with our loving God, but we will also draw others to His most sacred heart as we submit to Him and His great plan for each of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment