Sunday, June 4, 2017

In the Moment

Did you miss your Fixed on God, Growing in Virtue email last week? I missed writing it! I was praying for all of you as I took a moment to live in the moment with my family. 

Last weekend marked the 19th anniversary of my father’s passing. Do you ever have that feeling that you wish you knew then what you know now? 

How different my life would have been if I had been taught to be an intentional disciple of Christ through virtue and that I could grow in virtue through every interaction with those I love.

My relationship with my father taught me great virtue, but it wasn’t  intentional. It was because I adored him and wanted to mirror his generosity, his affability, his perseverance, and the joy he brought so many people.  He was loved by all and had a charisma that moved people. He had many vices, but because he was my personal hero - I tended not to notice them. I only sought his approval. 

Oh, how this should mirror our personal relationship with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

As I recall my father now and each sacred memory, the vices are so faint that one might argue I have altered the reality of what life was really like. Maybe being an empathic disciple of Christ means doing just that in the moment with those we encounter today…Purposefully looking past the unbearable, human moments of one another to see the whole picture of what makes a person incredibly special and unique.

Today is Pentecost Sunday. We celebrate the gifts of the Spirit that we receive through our virtues; joy, peace, love, patience, gentleness, kindness, and self control. 

I argue that since my father’s passing, the warmth and love I feel when I think of him are not a naive attempt to idealize him. Rather, the Spirit Himself is present and helps me to see with the Love of Christ what is true, good, and beautiful in that relationship. I see what remains after everything else melts away. 

Perhaps we can ask the Spirit to guide us in these same efforts as we restore, create, and nurture the relationships we have in the present moment. So often we allow our fallen humanity to define these relationships. What would happen if we asked God to let us see one another always through the Spirit? 

More importantly what are we doing to first restore, create and nurture the most important relationship we have - that with our Lord? I enjoyed this thought by Richard J. Hauser in the book, In His Spirit, “As in human relationships, words become less necessary the more we get to know a person; good friends can enjoy one another’s company while saying very little.” I of course felt that way about time spent with my father and now feel that way about time spent with my own children. 

In the coming weeks, I’d like to explore how our temperaments assist or resist cooperating with the Spirit and deepening our relationship with the Lord so that words become less necessary…so that we can move beyond our natural tendencies in prayer or overcome the obstacles that keep us from prayer.

For now, take a moment to reflect on someone you love that you no longer get to see that often or will never see again. What is true, good, and beautiful in that relationship? Can you put it into words? Do you need words? What is a moment you treasure that you no longer take for granted? 

 Now take a moment to think of someone who is near or you could make near to you with just a little effort. Maybe it is time to do so and just be in the moment…let the Spirit lead you.


Come, Holy Spirit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment