Sunday, January 29, 2017

The Sanguine Disciple

When I first took the temperament quiz at the end of book The Temperament God Gave You by Art and Laraine Bennett…I was in denial. Sanguine. I took it again…same result. That’s when I got online and started googling temperament quizzes. I found the one that I ending up using in workshops (click on “Discover Your Temperament” on the left sidebar of this blog). When I took that quiz…same result. Sanguine again, though this time I felt better as it noted phlegmatic as a secondary temperament.

Why did I not want to “own” my temperament?  Because, of course, I resisted “owning” the vices associated with this temperament. Just recently I caught a snippet of the PBS show Under the Radar that highlights great places to visit in Michigan. There was a woman with thick dark curly hair who had started her own salon. She was saying something many women have said or heard before, “All my life I’ve wanted to have blonde straight hair.” Why do we want the opposite of what God naturally gave us? Women with pin straight hair often feel bored with it and dream of sporting the crazy beautiful curls like those of this woman and vice versa. Guys (especially those balding)  you may empathize even though you don’t want to admit it. 

The sanguine has a tendency to look on the bright side of things. They are optimistic and creative. Sanguines are easily aroused to emotion and are charismatic leaders. They are most comfortable in a team. Because of these traits, the sanguine can be easily judged as superficial, weak-spined, or worse; scatterbrained or frivolous. My worst fear. 

It’s like I was given curly hair, but if I just had straight hair more people would see the breadth and depth of our mission to cultivate virtue in our children and lead them to sainthood. Can they take me seriously? I’ve actually had people question my “joy.” Is it artificial or for real? The answer is that it is very real and very pure. The longer people have known me, this becomes obvious. Even if I wanted to - I can’t tame it down. It is my fruit of the Spirit. God gave it to me and the Holy Spirit does His work through it. Always.

You see, like all of you on this blog, I take my vocation very seriously…my marriage vocation and my lay ministry. Because I am sanguine and easily impassioned, I work extra hard to have a firm and purposeful vision.  I also try to identify those who might try to take advantage of the vices of my temperament. 

Sanguines are people pleasers. They desire to be liked and this can be dangerous at times. In a leadership role, I put extra energy into examining choices so that they are made aligned with the vision and mission of our church and my pastor, even though it may upset others. I also strategize and identify holy people from whom to seek affirmation, rather than those influenced by the capricious values of modern culture.

 I ask God not to let my decisions be influenced by the fear that I will not make someone happy, but rather in all I do, it is for the best interest of children. I ask for His grace when the usual conflict or gossip evolves, so that I don’t become spiritually drained. If my mission is to keep people happy all of the time, then I’m not doing God’s work. 

The truth is that there is this very interior and private part of me. It is this part of me that is most sacred and that very few people know. It is also this part of me that draws me to the deepest communion with God to act in correspondence with His grace. It is this part of me I must nurture amidst the activity and creativity that dominates my temperament and gives me energy…that silent beautiful place in which I can hear the voice of God. As I have made growth in virtue a priority in my life, nurturing my prayer and reflective life has become the most central element.

Teacher to Teacher (Colleague to Colleague): Your sanguine colleague is well liked. They don’t hold grudges and do not get easily offended. When they do, they forgive quickly and easily. They bring joy and enthusiasm to the mission. To other temperaments this can be frustrating or even annoying at times. Try not to let it! Your sanguine counterpart is important to the mission. We need their optimism so that we don’t become bogged down by skepticism. Allow their gifts to shield the team from skepticism and doubt that the evil one would prefer control us. 

Principal to Teacher (Supervisor to Employee): Your sanguine teachers are great liaisons! Empower them by putting them in charge of parent workshops and community functions. They will openly share the mission of the school and represent the joy and passion that we receive in Christ. They easily build relationships with students and therefore it is easy to rely on them in when we face unique situations or need to find a home for a child to thrive that has had difficulty in the past. 

Teacher to Student (Parent to Child): Your sanguine student is eager to learn. They willingly share their ideas with the class and bring a natural enthusiasm, humor, and joy.  They are also very emotional. Try to direct their passion to their faith life, rather than temptations of the world.

Your sanguine child will benefit from strong routines. Invest in this guidance and discipline to help them grow (and value) a strong inner life with roots in Christ’s constancy and love. My middle son is most likely a sanguine. He loves to shake hands with others during sign of peace at mass, while my melancholic does everything possible to avoid being noticed. Your sanguine is a social butterfly and very impressionable. Make sure during their formative years that you are leaving the impressions of the saints’ footsteps for them to follow or you risk them following the painful path of others they decide are role models. 

Self: In your relationships, practice active listening. Try not to start thinking of your response to someone while they’re talking. I have a horrible habit of “cutting in” during conversations. I’m very aware of it and have purposefully practiced patience and self control when I get excited. You have a lot of great ideas! Be careful to execute one at a time in your classroom or home or you risk falling short or giving up on all of them. Prioritize. 

Mostly, let your joy radiate. No one lights a lamp and hides it in a clay jar or puts it under a bed.( Luke 8:16) Don’t ever let others make you feel like your light is better off hidden. If they do, this is coming from a place of envy and not love. Be careful though of coming off showy or boastful, unless you are boasting in Christ. Always reflect upon your motive and follow the example of Mary by shining your light to the face of Christ. 

I grow in virtue each day when I make the choice to unlock the door to the school and then my office. In an administrative role, I operate outside of my temperament the majority of the day. Yet, I know God chose me at this particular time to serve exactly where I am at. He wanted my creative gifts and joy at work in the lives of those I serve. He chose me. He also chose you to be exactly where you are at. His providence reigns!

I secretly envy a choleric’s ability to execute a vision and seemingly brush off the opinions of others. (Kind of like that woman on Under the Radar who all her life wanted straight blonde hair, but finally embraced herself and her gift and made a successful business helping others do the same.)  He gives me grace beyond grace to cultivate virtues that help me execute necessary leadership traits outside of my temperament. When I fall short, I give it to God. Everyday I am cultivating perseverance, obedience, modesty, meekness, and foresight. 

Regardless of your temperament, by remaining faithful to the church and its teachings and trusting in God through every conflict or challenge; He gives us every grace we need, especially in the sacraments. When you receive the Holy Eucharist this week, ask God to help you embrace your temperament and use it to live out His call in your life, and the strength to confront your vices so you can create your own personal plan to grow in virtue. 


No comments:

Post a Comment